From:
Jan Lovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 1996 19:49:59 EST
Greetings All-
There have been several references to ferrets in Georgia recently.  I'm here
to say that YES, YES, YES, ferrets are legal in Georgia.  They have been
legal as pets here since 1991 and legal to be sold to the general public
(ie; in petshops) since 1994.  The state law requires that ferrets be
spayed/neutered by seven months of age and be vaccinated against rabies
annually.  Contrary to popular belief, the pet shops here in GA are NOT
required to sell babies already spayed/neutered and descented - it just
happens that most of the pet-shop babies already come that way.

As a result of all the babies being sold, we have been getting lots of calls
from people looking for information & vet referrals, and sadly, calls from
people who can't or won't keep their ferrets.  Try as we might, many of the
pet shops just won't give out our information or any information, for that
matter.  As a result, many of the ferrets are given up because of behavioral
problems - at least the owners "think" they have a problem and by the time
they contact us, they are so fed up with their once darling bundle of joy,
that they are beyond wanting to try to work through what they perceive to be
a problem.

If I can be of any assistance to anyone with questions or problems, please
don't hesitate to call - that also goes for anyone with a ferret they can no
longer keep.  There is some room in our foster homes right now, so if the
welfare of the ferret(s) is more important than getting back the money spent
on the ferret then please don't hesitate to call.  Unfortunately, we are not
in a position to pay for unwanted ferrets, but we CAN guarantee a good
temporary home until the right permanent home is found.

Jan M. Lovell - Secretary
Georgia Domestic Ferret Association - Founded in 1989
Dedicated to a Better Life for Domestic Ferrets Through Knowledge and
Understanding
770-442-5917