From:
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 1996 14:25:47 -0800
From:    Sheena Staples <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: pit bulls and ferret blood types

>On a related matter, there is a need for ferret "blood givers" here, but
>many of our vets are uncertain whether ferrets have varying blood types.

Nope.  No types.  Any hob is a suitable donor.  Hobs only because they are
bigger.  Im sure that this is in the older Fox book and probably the new
ferret vet book.  I'll check tonight.  Gotta fax machine I can send a scan
to?

>From:    Sheena Staples <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: "babe-in-arms" ferret owners/tattooing rescues/shelter funds/
>Then they meet me (again) in person and are always shamefaced that the
>"kid" they brushed off in the pet store just diagnosed adrenal disease
>or something in their beloved pet.

Our 14 year old daughter is among the more ferret knowledgeable folks I
know.  That freaks a lot of people.  Another that same age is Katie Sweeney
in South Carolina.  At 11 or 12 SHE led the legalization effort in that
state!

We actually NEED to keep the younger folks interested in ferrets.  Many of
the groups seem to have no members under 30.  That is a problem.  Young
folks are drawn to ferrets.  GOOD.  Encourage responsible pet ownership.
Ferrets are my preferred pet.  I understand people who do not choose to
supply the younger folks for the reasons Sheena mentioned.  We won't place
ferrets to "kids" without the parent specifically taking responsibilty
themselves.

But kids will get ferrets.  Support them.  Let them in the clubs.  Some
clubs die off when the older generation tires without new blood to keep it
going.  We expect our daughter to take a leadership role in ferrets one day.
The more she learns now the better it will be later.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]