From:
Percy Pwood Georgia Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2001 11:12:21 -0700
Are we sure a problem exists?  If the artist has not yet been contacted,
then we do not know if permission was granted for the particular clip-art
pieces in question.  The images are publically displayed and there are no
'non-profit' limitations given.

The very words - clip art - indicate that it is public domain work, which
can be 'clipped' for one's own use.

It took me all of two minutes to find Bob Nixon's e-mail addy, by searching
for clip art, selecting a site, selecting ferrets, and looking for a page
that might contain a variety of work.

After looking at what was shown for Bob Nixon I went to eBay and found the
rubber stamps were indeed made from work shown on the web site.  However...
that work is VERY old.  I have received materials with those designs for at
least 4 years.  The page does state that before the pieces can be used for
commercial purposes, the artist must be contacted.  With work this old, the
current seller of rubber stamps my have obtained the image from other
sources.

Art that goes out 'into the world' is pretty vulnerable stuff.  I saw a
piece of available clip art I liked and bought the right to use if as my
logo from the artist.  However, because it was public domain work when I
saw it, I can't ask people who shagged it as free art to stop using it.
In fact, it's kinda nice that clubs make up items with 'my' logo, and I
get to buy them.

I'll ask the stamp guy (whose addy was on his eBay auction item) if he
would like to assure us he has permission to make the stamps and I'll let
Bob Nixon know a question has been raised.

Georgia - the left coast one...