From:
Ferretnews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 May 1998 09:38:09 EDT
Hello everyone,

Just a quick note to express my concern about a photograph in the new book
Ferrets.  I just received a copy, haven't read it yet but had a strong, I
would say, visceral, reaction to the photograph of a ferret stalking a
chicken!

I e-mailed Bob C to ask if ferrets were ever used to hunt birds and he told
me he's just as concerned and was writing a post to the FML about that very
photo.  I'm sure his post will address that question.  But one thing is
clear and that is that this unfortunate photograph chosen to illustrate the
ferret's hunting history simply furthers a myth that CA DFG has promulgated
about ferrets being a threat to poultry, and I have no doubt that DFG will
try to use it against us.

researched the claim by contacting poultry associations throughout the US.
What did they discover?  Ferrets are not a threat to poultry.  Neither
poultry association in CA has a problem with legalizing ferrets and we have
letters from both of them.

The editor of Ferrets magazine is June Kikuchi.  But I don't think she had
anything to do with the book-- I'm not sure.  Bow Tie press is owned by
Fancy Publications which publishes Ferrets magazine.  I think if folks
write to June it would eventually get to the appropriate person but I would
caution them to be polite with their criticisms and concerns.  Ferrets
magazine has been very supportive of the legalization effort and, like
Modern Ferret, as donated a full page ad for our WANTED poster in at least
a couple of issues.  June attended the FA Ferret Roundup in March and the
legalization issue has been highlighted by Pet Product News, also owned by
Fancy Publications.  In general, this organization has been very, very
supportive of legalization and that is one of the reasons that this
misleading photograph is so upsetting.  The author and the publisher is
from CA and they should know better!!

June's e-mail I believe is <[log in to unmask]>

Jeanne Carley
Californians for Ferret Legalization (CFL)
410 Mountain Home Road  Woodside, CA  94062
http://www.ferretnews.org-- CFL Website
CALIFORNIANS, YOU CAN FIND OUT YOUR STATE SENATOR BY VISITING THIS SITE!!
CALL AND WRITE YOUR SENATOR AND GOV. WILSON--DON'T LET OUR BILL DIE!
For pure ferret fun, check out http://www.ferretcompany.com