From:
meesh meesh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 08:38:47 -0800
Thank you all for the wonderful responses.  Thank you Dr. William with the
details you shared.  I have simply heard of so many ferrets where the vena
cava has been torn during surgery and the ferrets have been euthanized on
the table.  This year I have learned I have a passion for surgery and since
I will be graduating in a little over a year and *definately* plan to treat
ferrets, I am constantly looking for every option there is in such common
diseases of the ferret such as hyperadrenocorticism and with the problems
that can occur with these surgeries.  I had heard of a few vets who, when
the vena cava was torn, simply ligated it as a last resort.  Some survived
and some didn't.  Thank you for the detailed explanation and the reponse
of owners of post-op complications in those that did survive.

I have another question for vets.  I am taking a hands-on surgery
independent study elective next quarter and those of us participating get
to choose the types of surgeries we want to practice.  IF you can think of
any, directly ferret-related (or not) that would add to my skills upon
graduation, skills not typically gained and/or more difficult to learn on
one's own, I'd be very appreciative of your input.  You're free to email
me directly at [log in to unmask] if it seems more appropriate.

ps. to Dr. Williams.  Glad to see you on the FML :).

I'm only so sorry/sad that I didn't get to meet all of you in Ontario this
summer.  I was actually *IN* Toronto but unfortunately couldn't afford the
cost of the weekend and at the last minute found out that the free thursday
night event had been moved to a location an hour from where I was staying.
I *DEFINATELY* will be at the next ferret synmposium (I heard one will be
in Edmonton -where my sister is doing her residency) so unless school
prevents me, I *will* be there, and I can't wait to meet all of you ) :))

Michaela Maurice
College of Veterinary Medicine
Ohio State University
Class of 2002