From:
soeasilyamused <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2006 13:17:01 -0700
Quoted:
>For flea protection we use Advantage.  I put one drop on the back of
>the neck of each ferret.  I buy the large dog tubes.  The chemical
>percentage is the same in the cat and dog version, the only difference
>is the larger the tube the more chemical amount so buying the large tube
>and using 1 drop is the same as buying the cat/kitten tube and applying
>one drop, the large tube has more drops, about 80, and for volume it
>costs less.

One should be verrrrrrry careful using dog flea products on other
animals.  My mother put some of the dog version of an Advantage-esque
product (don't remember which brand) on my cat.  He got very sick and
had to be rushed to the vet, medicated, bathed and shaved.  The
"money-saving" action cost me $500 and a lecture from the vet for using a
product that specifically said, "not for use on cats".  I tried to tell
him that it was my mom that did it, but for some reason, he didn't
believe me.  Guess he's heard that one before!

Dog flea products can be toxic to cats, and since most vets recommend
using the kitten products on ferrets, I'd be very careful about
substituting the dog products.  Advantage may be the same formula for
cats and dogs, but other brands may not.  Read the labels carefully!