From:
Chris Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 1993 19:25:15 -0400
Many of you will have undoubtably noticed that the language in the
subscription acknowledges is pretty draconian and clashes rather
dramatically with the procedures up til now.  Those are the default
messages provided by the LISTSERV.  Bill had suggested that we provide
a custom one (once he saw I was intending to allow notification), but
I forgot in my enthusiasm of getting this thing up and running
quickly, and "went with the flow" as it were.

Oops.  My apologies.  Please don't panic.

Ignore, *completely*, the contents of that message.  The only
item of concern is whether you actually got one or not.  To wit:

        - The FML is a public list, and can be advertised freely.
        - FML issues may be rebroadcast, BUT, routine rebroadcast
          (eg: routine uploads to BBSs, GEnie etc., mail-to-news
          gateways etc.) requires my permission.
        - All correspondance to and about the FML should go to the
          addresses listed in the headers of a FML issue.  Ie: ignore
          "[log in to unmask]" and "[log in to unmask]"
          (except for backissue snarfing).

The Ferret FAQ (obtainable from the LISTSERV) covers the official
policy.  If haven't seen it, I suggest you retrieve it.
I will be composing a new "welcome" message in the near future.
And turn off notification for the time being.

FYI: even though there are 16 users that should go on the LISTSERV,
but aren't because I don't have full names, I've dropped from
60 mail batches down to 8.  A 7.5-fold drop in cost.  It will go
down still further as I bug the name-less ones, or determine that
they're black-holing.

[Some people believe that as much as 50% of a mailing list's issues
are undeliverable and don't produce bounces.  That is, currently,
about the response level of a mail message I sent to the nameless ones
asking for their names.]