From:
Ellen Goffin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jun 1997 17:42:58 -0400
Hi, Courtney.  I think getting a pet-sitter is a good way to go.  I don't
live in Michigan but I have had pet-sitters come to take care of our
ferrets, cats and bird.  Mostly, we've had a positive experience.  The first
pet-sitter we hired after a move to a new area did not work out but that is
just one unfortunate situation.

My suggestions are to look for a pet-sitter who is bonded and insured and a
member of NAPPS, the National Association of Professional Pet Sitters.  This
way if anything does go wrong you can report the sitter to NAPPS.  For
ferrets, try to find someone with experience handling ferrets.  This may not
always be possible but it helps.  Then meet with prospective sitters at your
house so you can see how pet-sitter and ferrets interact.  Be specific with
your information.  It is better for the sitter to know more than she or he
needs to than to not know enough.

You'll want to tell the sitter how much and what kind of food to give, how
much water, when to change bedding, how to clean the cage, change the
papers, how much play time to give out of the cage and what to play with and
what games the ferrets like, litter box instructions, where cleaning
supplies are kept in case of an "accident" and on and on.  The sitter should
write this information down or have you fill out a form with these items.

Around here pet sitters usually charge $10-12 for one daily visit for one or
maybe two pets plus $1-2 for each additional pet.

Good luck, Courtney.

Ellen [log in to unmask]