Date:
Sat, 20 Jul 1996 08:53:48 -0400
After seeing many posts re nail clipping, I'll tell you what I do since I
haven't seen it posted yet:

Hold them on your lap, facing out so only their back feet can rest on your
legs.  I hold both front feet with only my thumb on top and hold them
against me with my forearm..  If they get ornery, hold them a little higher
so the back feet don't touch.  Without that leverage they are *somewhat*
helpless.  I've never thought of it, but a little Linatone on your knuckle
would probably help.  I have my right hand free to work the clippers (I use
a plain old human nail clipper--the small one) and use my left hand to hold
their feet.  Hold one foot between thumb and forefinger.  His foot will
'curl' around the forefinger, separating the toes so you can get at them.

IMPORTANT: Make it a fun expenience.  Practice when you hold them during a
'lovey' session without the clippers and without the linatone.  Make it
gentle.  When the real thing comes, it will be over before they know what
hit them.  I always give them a special treat afterward.

I clean their ears with a Q-Tip dipped in some mineral oil. I've heard that
the mineral oil drowns any ear mites and I'm sure it's more soothing than a
dry Q-Tip.  (Not drippy wet, but well soaked)

I hold them much the same as above, but I hold their front feet in to their
body. Then I use the other dry end to remove any excess oil.  I have
trouble with this...they hate anything in their ears, but we manage.  NOT a
pleasant time!

That's all for now,

Donna