From:
Marcia Urban <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jul 1998 11:54:51 EDT
I recently received my second order of a product intended for ferrets to
chew on safely; it is advertised as 100% edible.  True to the ad, my ferrets
love chewing on it and can totally consume one (per ferret!) in less than 2
days.  I've noticed, however, that after chewing on this product my babies
are doing a lot of coughing and in some cases develop loose stools.  I now
have one ferret that is doing a lot of "heaving" but not actually vomiting
any fluids or particles.  At first I thought I might have a respiratory bug
going around but only the ferrets that have enjoyed the chews are coughing.
I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this in their ferrets.  I have
since taken away all the chews (much to their dismay!) and all but the one
who was heaving are fine.  I realize I may have something else going on
with her and am not sure all her symptoms are from the chews.  This post is
intended more as an FYI than I am looking for advice, but I am curious if
anyone else has had similar experiences.

Marcia and the fur babies:
Ren, Stimpy, Mitzi, Baby, Shug and Bear