From:
Brenda Blair <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 00:07:12 -0800
Hello all, Wanting to wish everyone a happy holiday season.  Dooks to the
ferts.

I want to send my sympathy to Kevin.  I too look for his posting every day,
hoping today will be the day he tells us his babies have stopped getting
sick.  I think him and his babies often every day.  I enjoy reading his
stories about his ferrets.  Our thoughts are with you Kevin.  Keep up the
good fight.

I also have a question about my newest foster baby.  I got a call one
evening about this ferret.  I was told he was living in a closet, hadn't
had anything but a small amount of cat food in 2 days, and was on the Virge
of being let loose in the woods.  So I go and pick him up right away.  I
got bit right away and could tell he had been abused and malnourished.  I
tried to talk to the guy who was at the house, it was his friends house and
his friend got it from a friend..  blah,blah..  I just got the baby and
went.  I took him to the vet a day later he weighed 1.2 lb..  He was one
huge head and the rest skin and bones.  But physically he was healthy
(except for weight).  Emotionally he was a wreck.  Every time you opened
the cage he would cower and shiver and then bite HARD.  But what do you
do..  the only way to get them to trust you is to handle them and love them
and you can't do that with gloves.  So I got bit a few times..  I never
yelled or hit him like he expected me to.  So eventually he quit biting me
and now he is a HUGE fat boy who just wants to be held and go running in
the park in the rain.  (He has even given me a kiss or two).  My question
is... his skin is pinkish like it irritated all the time..  and his coat is
a little thin.  That seems to be the only thing that is wrong with him he
weighs at least 3 to 3.5 lb.  Plays, and wrestles with my other foster.  I
have had him for about a month.  he had a bath when I first got him, not
since.  I was wondering if his skin prob.  could be from stress or if
someone has had this problem before.  He really is a sweet heart, when we
got him we named him Fang.... but he has since earned the new name
Sweetums.  If anyone has seen anything like this before, I appreciate any
advice.

Happy New year to you all
Prayers to the sick babies and their human slaves

Brenda and her herd of Heathen Weasels
Scooby, Miss Piggy, The Boy, Goldilocks, Ernie
and the honored foster guests Chunky Monkey and Sweetums