From:
Date:
Sun, 22 Jun 1997 22:03:47 -0700
>From:    Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Washington Protest

DC in January is not that cold.  Ask folks from Minnesota.  Or even the
Winchester area we are moving to.  Nor does it often have snowstorms.  One
or two inches is a heavy snow fall and we get only a small handful a year.

If you do a march in the warm months you'll be lost in all the tourists.
Won't even get noticed by the press.  More notice when nothing else is going
on.  If you want the press go when congress is out since they have little
else to report on.  If you want the attention of the lawmakers they have to
be there.

But as you say it is a local matter legally so it would be a press thing.
In the scheme of things on DC standards I'd suspect a ferret protest in DC
would be small.  Remember this is the home of the million man march and
other large protests.  The Promise keepers are aiming for over a million
this fall.

Cherry Blossom time would be a good time to get ignored.  Way too much else
going on.  A couple thsand (extremely optimistic) ferret folks would be
minor and treated as such.

BUT a couple of things.  DC is a FFZ.  The Capitol though is a federal
enclave and local laws are not enforced by DC cops on that propoerty its the
National Park Police.  They like ferrets, at least the ones I've dealt with.
Both my brother and I have had ferrets on the Mall many times.  But we don't
attract the attention of the local cops on our way through the city beyond
the mall.

Any ferret event held in DC should also deal with the local DC laws and thus
should be co-ordinated with the local DC legalization efforts.  Hampering
local efforts would be bad.  Talk to Diane Rogers.

Though we were looking forward to another excuse to visit Florida...

>From:    alphachi <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: re : A serious Marshall?
>So Bill, what color is the sky in your world? Just kidding :-)

Well we've had both thunderstorms and sunny times lately so both blue and
grey.

We have no interest in playing these games of yours.  We did not write as a
defender of MF nor an agent of MF.  We wrote more from our dealings with
petstores in this particular case.  If we ask the folks in the store where
the ferrets came from they almost never know.  Large or small chains.  You
choose to attack me with arguments supporting our statements in this case.
A large chain that gets many ferrets at the same time would be hard pressed
to identify each individual ferret so that that ferrets lineage could be
traced.  Thank you for assisting us in making that point.

If you would rather follow emotional appeals to the evilness of Marshall
Farms than the many folks that write from knowledge feel free.  We don't not
care.  Many of us are tired of ego and emotion based attacks on MF and on
other forces with in the ferret world.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/