From:
Andrea M Miralia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 1996 12:12:48 EDT
Karen-
Have they ruled out renal failure?  Maybe you're dealing with two different
things...

I'm so sorry-- it must have been awful for you.

It seems ferret mystery illnesses keep popping up.  My ferret Bean has now
had two life-threatening illnesses, seemed about to die, and then just *got
better.* The first was characterized by no stomach motility (as seen
throughja barium x-ray) and slow starvation.  The second we *thought* was
classic isulinoma.  Two months ago she started having (what I thought were)
low blood sugar seizures: clamped teeth, near coma, staggering, weakness,
retching,and weight loss.  I started feeding her various herbal supplements
every few hours, which kept the blood sugar stable.  The vet took a CBC and
she was borderline hypoglycemic (about a 65 or so.) A few weeks ago she
started eating on her own, and hasn't had a seizure in about a month.  I
just caught her ten minutes ago trying to escape from the kitchen window...
so she's back to her old antics.  I have *no* idea if insulinoma goes into
remission like this- spontaneously - but I'm glad she's over it for now.

Weird.

---- [log in to unmask] Andrea M ----- [log in to unmask]
Love to all weasels everywhere from the happy ferret house
Whitman, Joon, Benny, Bean, Hopi and angels Frito and Kadi
-Jumpier " than a ferret on a double espresso" - Dennis Miller-
----- "I've got spots, I've got .. stripes, too." - Ani Di Franco----