From:
William Killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2001 00:47:34 -0400
>From:    Danielle Frye <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret Show and ADV Testing
>I am confused on all of this.  I have not been reading every post about
>it, but the last few have left me in the dark.  Am I to believe that
>someone would not want proof of testing in order to enter their ferret
in a show?

No.  You shouldn't put words in the mouths' of others.  People are mostly
against the particular implementation.

>If I were to enter a show (I don't because of the health risks), I
>certainly would want to know that all the other ferrets in attendance
>were completely healthy and disease free.  This is where I am confused
>by some of the posts.  Who wouldn't want this and why?

There is testing all the ferrets and there is selected testing.  The show
under discussion did not have a written policy that all ferrets in the room
be tested, just those being shown.  Those ferrets being shown are those
most likely to have full medical attention already.  Those just coming in
are those that are probably the most likely to have issues.  We still have
never heard of Aleutians being passed by a show ferret as we understand
the circumstances of those that have spread the disease.  Shelters are
still more likely to spread diseases than shows.

We shouldn't make this a "us against them".  The show in question is not a
popular show.  But the ADV test policy with all of it's flaws is not the
reason for that.  Turning those who just don't happen to want to go to this
show into bad guys does no one or especailly any ferret any good.

>I am curious to know who they are because of the last negative post aimed
>towards them, that was not something that should have been brought to a
>public forum.

Some of us know you are just popping in because we said something, it
is odd how you pop in her with a negative post eiled perhaps but still
targeted at the same time your friend pop in on the newsgroup.

bill and diane killian