From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 1996 03:21:42 -0600
I have an apology to make to Jim Young; I thought he was a J. Young that has
been blasting me from California regarding the feral ferret issue for the
last month.  This mistake was compounded by a problem with my e-mail service
(pine) which has lately been scrambling some of the posts I receive and send
(Several sharp-eyes friends have noticed the top couple of lines have been
missing or words duplicated or scrambled.  I figure its the server since the
problem does not exist with I mail through netscape).  Usually I check the
address, but in my FML issue, it was unreadable.  I was already in overdrive
from a J. Young post read earlier that day, and assumed the two of you were
the same person.  For that I am sorry, and I would have presented the post
differently had I known.  (I wrote it assuming Jim was in the USA,
specifically from California) It's my fault and I'm sorry.

However, my points are valid, even to Jim Young's neck of the woods.  In the
1980's, a symposium was held and printed in Acta Zoologica Fennica (I can
send the exact reference to those who want it) in which the introduction of
mustelids in New Zealand were a principle subject.  Caroline King, probably
one of the world's top authority on mustelids has also published repeatedly
on the subject.  Their findings suggest ferrets are limited to the North and
South Islands only, and in limited numbers around marshy areas.  Also, not
all, but most papers on introduced New Zealand mustelids discuss stoats and
weasels (in the US, stoats = shorttail weasel and the weasel = the least
weasel) and rarely mention ferrets or polecats.  A few phone calls told me
why.  Because, compared to the amount of impact of the former species, the
ferret/polecat's impact is quite limited.

C. King, in her last two books addressing the subject repeatedly states that
*NO* evidence exists that the ferret or polecat is responsible for the
elimination of a single species.  No mustelid can be fingered as the
culprit.  Why?  Because the extinctions are in the past, the mechanisms are
unknown, and there are numerous other animals just as guilty, including
humans.  It is clear a number of bird species were destroyed and a larger
number are now threatened, but blame must be assigned to all involved, which
includes (but not excluded to) rats, cats, and dogs.  In fact, R. H. Taylor
(1984) lists 22 introduced or feral mammals on the New Zealand islands, all
of which have had a direct or indirect effect on the mentioned
exterminations.  Of the carnivores mentioned in 12 papers I refered to for
this post, the most common animals related to the extinctions were the black
and Norway rats, feral cats, pigs and stoats.  In the *few* instances
ferrets were mentioned, they were far down on the list in terms of impact.
Several authors stated outright that ferrets were not considered because of
their low population compared to the other species.  One author suggested
mustelids had little impact compared to the cat, pig and rat.  Indeed, less
than 5 papers have ever been published in major journals about the ferret in
New Zealand for any subject, and most of those refer to the Pukepuke lagoon
population.

I have copies of most of the documents relating to the release of ferrets on
New Zealand (from the governmental perspective) and the numbers were
staggering, so say the least.  They also show that polecats were also
released, as well as polecat-ferret hybrids, so it is highly probable that
the animals living there now are not true-blooded ferrets, but a hybrid.
The records for what the private sector released are fragmentary, but
suggest that vastly more mustelids were released over a much longer period
of time than ever by the governmental agencies.  This is perhaps one of the
few places on the planet where thousands of releases, open predatory niches,
and unlimited food (in the case of the already established rabbit) were
available at the same time.  It is no wonder that the ferret became
established.  By the same token, no place is like it in any non-island
ecosystem.  You cannot find these conditions in Europe, Asia, North or South
America, Africa, or even Australia.  Islands only, and few of them.
California is not an island.

This is not to minimize what has happened on New Zealand, but it is
important to understand the differences between systems, and the historical
events (human or otherwise) which impact them.  Jim Young was correct in
pointing out the problems associated by the introduction of a carnivore to
an island ecosystem.  But those objections are invalid in regards to the US
situation and quite specific to New Zealand.

One final word regarding ferrets specifically in California, and in
competition with American mink.  Caroline King (1983) states:

"The polecat is similar to the mink in size, shape and population
characteristics.  The contrast is in their response to direct persecution by
man.  In England, control measures exterminated the polecat in the 19th
century, but failed to prevent the spread of the mink in the 20th."

The ferret is a domesticated version of the polecat, with reduced hunting
instincts, perceptual differences, and domesticated temperment.  In all
regards, the polecat is the better predator, but cannot prevail against man
and predatory competition from the mink.  If polecats could not prevail
against 19th century technology and hunting techniques, and the mink can
overcome 20th century efforts by the same people in the same location, who
in their right mind would suggest ferrets can do what polecats cannot?

Again, Jim I am sorry for mistaking you for someone else; it was not
intentional (even I know what nz, au, br, etc., mean on the end of
addresses).  That is no excuse, and I am sorry.

Mo' Bob and the 18 Red-faced Weasels (missing Gus)