From:
Elisa Stamm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 20:16:08 -0600
For those who are interested, Mr. Y's pathology report came back today.
The short story is as follows:

  Adrenocortical adenocarcinoma; bilateral adrenal gland neoplasia possibly
  corresponding with clinical hyperadrenocorticism.

  Lymphosarcoma of intermediate histological grade (diagnosed from at
  sample of thymic tissue)

  No islet cell tumor from pancreatic parenchyma but islet cell
  degeneration correlating with diabetes mellitus

  Changes demonstrated in the kidneys most characteristic of immune complex
  deposition and/or metabolic insult.  Morphological changes are most likely
  associated with the metabolic effects of diabetes.

  Vacuolar hepatopathy in the liver consistent with secondary metabolic
  insult and correlated with clinical diabetes mellitus

  NO neoplasia evident in the spleen.

  Changes in the stomach are most characteristic of low grade luminal
  irritation and/or antigenic stimulation.  Also, rare proprial stromal
  infiltrates of lymphocytes and plasma cells (Gatritis, lymphoplasmacytic)

  Enteritis, lymphoplamacytic in duodenum.

  Chordoma (thing from the tip of his tail).  Relatively common lesion in
  the tail of the ferret.  Malignant potential is possible with these
  lesions.

Sorry that this is so long, but the information won't help others if I keep
it to myself.  If there are any vets who would like copies of the whole
report (this is only a summary), contact me and I will gladly send a copy
out.  The only consolation from this is that we probably did the right
thing when we let him go.  This way he didn't suffer from the lymphosarcoma
or adrenocarcinoma (although I wonder if the hyperadrenocorticism played a
role in the development of the diabetes).

Lisa S.
Grad Student, UoI-Chicago, Nutrition and Medical Dietetics