From:
Bill Williamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 1995 16:55:14 -0500
Hi All -

        I was asked for a list of names of people for whom to give credit
for the recent success with passing House Bill 295 in Mass.

        A bunch of us talked it over and decided that Sharon Burbine should
get the credit by name, with a least a hundred or more (unnamed) people
helping out in various ways and times as they could.  Mentioning five names,
leaves the sixth out, mentioning 20, leaves the 21st out.  Mentioning 300,
and you are guaranteed to spell at least one or two wrong or get them in the
wrong order.

        Sharon really put the most on the line with her efforts, and was in
there more than anyone else, calling people to solicit new ideas, getting
volunteers, and working with us to implement what could be done 'today' so
that we wouldn't have to worry about not having done it 'tomorrow'.  Through
it all she kept her good humor and was really a joy to work with.

        Just a huge number of people worked to get the job done, and not in
any way for personal credit or glory.  Many, like Geri Collins slogged along
breaking new ground in previous years, and gave freely of their advice and
experience.   Many others were from out of state and had no personal stake
in the outcome.  Some had little time, but stepped in to make a difference
when it really counted and we would have failed with out it.  Others [like
BIG or Dr Williams] made an essential difference just by being there and
doing things like providing support and maintaining the FML.

        Ferret people are like that.  That is why this is all so much fun.
The important thing is that it did get done, we can ALL take credit for it,
and for those who came in late or perhaps feel bad that they weren't able to
participate as much as they would have liked......well there is still plenty
of work left to be done to implement the law during the next ninety days,
and there is also California.  Admittedly a tough nut to crack, but hey we
are pumped up now, and nothing succeeds like success.......

                                        - Bill Williamson