From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 1996 11:29:10 CST6CDT
Lethargy - whenever we experience a lethargic ferret the first blood test we
have run is blood glucose.  This is, of course, after evaluating that a
blood test is needed.

Descenting views (mine) - I don't have ferrets descented and we haven't had
any problems.  The only problems we've seen are in ferrets that haven't been
properly descented.  We don't have many releasing their scent either unless
they are fussing with each other and then it is used to ward the other
ferret off.  Since this is their only real defense (teeth and claws have
absolutely nothing against a medium-large dog) I prefer not to descent.
I've seen our dogs take a wide berth of ferrets that have just been
"skunked".  :-)

Shelter funds - Credit cards - I have 6.  :-) That's how we do it.  All my
time is spent either working or taking care of the fussies (that isn't a
typo - you should have been at OUR house this morning) I just don't have
time to devote to fundraisers so I use credit cards to pay the vet and buy
supplies when times are lean.  The other option is asking vets if they will
allow you to pay on your account, but not many will agree to that.  And of
course, there is the COUPON FUND if everyone will buy the coupons there will
be plenty of funds for the shelter vets in emergencies.  :-)

ECE Update - Well we are well into our 5th month and still experiencing
occassional diarrhea.  I still see green ECE stools from time to time but
they are all recovering nicely.  Energy levels of most are good in the
morning and late at night but they sleep the day away.  There are
occassional bouts of vomiting as well.  Our hardest hit were in the 2-4 year
olds and they seem to be on the mend.  So far we haven't had reoccurances in
the surgery ferrets.  They all still get the special recipe in the morning
and evening and we're special feeding several that need to fatten up more.
Out of 60 ferrets only 1 never showed symptoms, Mugsy (the one that was kind
enough to give it to us.  :-)) We've extended our quarantine to 9 months.

Hugs to all.  tle