Date:
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 02:44:35 -0800
Hello Fuzzy Family,

I guess I should introduce myself while I have the chance.  My name is
Alecia (or I go by Rae, sometimes, which is my middle name) and I am
addicted to ferrets.  I live in Washington State.  I have four fuzzies
which I have introduced before.  The first pair, Henry ( for Wad's'worth,
is a) Longfellow, and (Mioeskas--Gaelic for Mischievous).  They go by Henry
and Missy.  I think they were born in June 1997, and they are sister and
brother, from an unknown breeder in Texas.  I adopted them in January 1998
from someone who used to be on the FML and could no longer keep them.
Henry and Missy are deaf as a stone.  Missy is a beautiful fluffy DEW and
Henry is a light-colored Blaze.  I adopted the second pair from a family
who was neglecting them, due partly to ignorance, and partly because the
male "played" too roughly with one of their free-roaming pet birds and it
died.  The family was devastated by the loss of their bird, a pet for 12
years, and the ferrets went to live in the back yard in conditions which
were quickly becoming life-threatening.  I won't go into any other details
about that now, except to say that I am so glad I was able to rescue them
when I did and they have become a very much loved addition to the first
loved two.  Their names were Angel and Felix when I got them and they
seemed to know their names, so I didn't try to change them.  Angel is very
aptly named, and is a tiny MF albino,about two years old now.  Felix is a
Sable, a little over two years old, according to the previous owner,
breeder unknown, and kind of a little chubster.  All four are very playful,
affectionate and the love, joy and inspiration of my life.  I also have
three cats.  I've (sorta) had a husband for nine years, from which I have
been separated since February of this year.  As of yesterday, he has
decided that he is now moving on to greener, pet-free, wife-free pastures.
So, hopefully what's left of my little family will pull through this and
enter the new millenium with new hope for the future, and a chance to start
over and make better, more well-informed decisions.

I don't know how long I've been on the FML.  I think it was six months to a
year before I finally adopted fuzzies of my own.  Probably sometime in
1997.  I have found it to be an extremely helpful, educational and valuable
resource, and it helped me to make wise and informed decisions about
becoming owned by ferrets.  The cute and funny stories people shared about
their own ferrets were the most inspirational part of the FML, for me, and
fueled my desire to open my home to these silly little monsters.  I was
able to judge in advance, thanks to the FML, that I had the right
personality to share my home with creatures that would thoroughly take over
and change my lifestyle, in profound and wonderful ways.

I have met some really awesome folks through the FML and am so grateful for
the growing friendships, the knowledge and resources and all the work and
time that goes into the FML from Bill Gruber and contributing subscribers.
This is an excellent resource and a special group of people, in spite of
the bickering that happens sometimes.  I guess we all need to remember that
all families are characterized by some bickering and as unpleasant as it
is, it is a normal part of being human.  I am glad that we can still get
past the rough spots and keep this an effective resource for all.