Date:
Wed, 1 May 2002 09:42:23 EDT
I do not run a shelter.  But I care for many indoor and outdoor critters.
I never know when I will need to go to emergency vets.  And when one or
more of my babies is in the last part of his or her life-I cannot know
if I will need to cancel plans to be with a little one to nurse, nurture,
and assess.

I take the cell phone, home phone, and business phone number of anyone I
make plans with.  The animals come first.  But I carry a small appointment
book with me that I leave out at home on the desk.  It goes to work with
me.

The animals come first.  But a 5 second phone call has always been
possible-even when it has been difficult to speak.

One of my sisters has let me down 5 or 6 key times.  My limited free time
reserved for her children-with food and games and books and crafts and
bedding prepared -was all for naught.  Not even a phone call did she make.
I was devastated.  Over the years-this has been repeated.  This upstanding
person in church and community IS very spacy.  But to me-there is no
excuse for this: particularly when it was NEVER even followed up with an
"I am sorry."

It REALLY hurt my feelings, made me mad.  And now?  I do not find her
creditable.  I make NO plans with her or to care for her children.  Had
she taken 5 seconds to make a phone call?

I might not make any plans with her again.  But I would still like her as
a person.  Now I just love her as a sister.  If she called me and needed
me-I would be there for her because she is my sister.  But I do not trust
her.  I find her unreliable, two faced, thoughtless, and unworthy of my
friendship:

  because she couldn't be bothered to make a 5 second phone call.

Don't alienate your customers-your potential adopters.  Word spreads.
People will not believe in you, or take a chance on driving over to adopt
from you--especially in a small community.  If you are not going to be
there when agreed upon-just call.  If you absolutely cannot call athe
time : call that night or the next day.

Say "I am sorry."  You have no idea what a huge difference it could make.