From:
Maria Schon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 2010 19:23:05 -0500
I do not post often but I was upset to see the post from Kim attacking
the ferret shelter Mom, Sandra, that had the unfortunate incident with
the "bad" kids and the parents who did not correct their children's
bad behavior. Special need children are special, but often do not
understand the way to handle animals. The parents are to blame for this
situation, not the children. The parents should have worked with their
children so they understand how to handle any and all animals.

Shelters look for help all the time. There is not much help out there.
You often take what you can get. If the situation does not work out,
you do not invite the people / person back again. You often do not
know the person or people that offer to help until they come to your
shelter. It is very difficult to correct / discipline other peoples
children, especially with the parents right there. They may not have
understood ferrets and how they should be handled / cared for. This
was a learning experience and I am certain it will never happen again.
Each person handles things differently and I am certain this was an
overwhelming experience to say the least. To have lost ferrets due to
this situation is unbearable, I can not even imagine how Sandra feels.
This situation was out of her control, so please do not blame yourself,
Sandra. Just learn from the experience.

Sandra, I am so sorry you had to deal with this situation, with people
who did not respect you or your ferrets. I am sure you will never let
anything like this happen again.

Please know that some people in the ferret community understand that
this situation was out of your control and you have learned that you
need to deal with volunteers in a different way. More screening / offer
more information about how to handle / care for ferrets.

Your Friend Maria
And of course: Tillie, Shellie, Ricky, Lucy, Fergie and P.J.