Subject:
<[log in to unmask] paralysis questions
From:
Paula Federici <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Oct 1998 12:53:54 EST
Ilena,
Reading your account of your rescue was deja vu for me.  A month ago I also
went to one of the local pet stores that works "with" me in helping recue
ferrets and educate their owners.  This ferret had been given to them
because the owner just didn't want him anymore.  "Grampa" was covered with
urine and feces and could barely hold his head up.  After giving warmed
Pedialyte and some diluted duck soup, I put him on a table to get a better
look at him.  All Grampa could do was drag around his hind end.  He had
sores on both of his back feet from dragging them.  I bathed Grampa and put
him in my hospital cage and continued to feed him every few hours during
the night.  Vet check confirmed cage paralysis and severe malnourishment.
I started physical therapy after a warm bath twice a day.  To avoid dry
skin, I put 1 tsp.  of baking soda in a tub of water.

Grampa is now walking and dancing with the best of him.  We don't know how
long he had been in his previous condition and are very thankful it wasn't
any longer.  I give all the credit to the wonderful little fert who has an
amazing will to live and love.

I hope you have the same or better response than I did.
Paula
Ferrets"R"Fun Santa Fe