From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 11:21:21 -0900
I've been with the FML for almost a year now.  But, this is my first time
posting.  I'm owned by four ferrets, 2 females and 2 males.  Nookie 1 1/2
lbs, Newton 2 lbs, Behr 2 1/2 lbs, and Peanut 3 lbs.  This past week my
little Nookie had a traumatic incident.  Her upper left fang broke more than
half-off.  My vet gave me a choice as to either extract the whole tooth or
to cut the nerve, fill it in, and put a cap on it.  Both cost about the
same.  I decided to cut, fill, and cap.  Nookie is doing well.  She is on
medication for any infections that may occur.  She still eats and drinks as
much as she ever did.  She is still very active and playful.  But, Nookie is
forming a sore on her upper lip as if she is bitting it.  My vet said it
would take time for her to get use to the missing tooth.  I just wanted to
know if I made the right decision in the long run.  My vet mention that the
tooth was probably defective and very weak to have broke as it did.  Should
I have extracted it in the first place?  Also, has anyone eles had
experience with a toothless ferret?  I would appreciate any stories you
might have on the subject.

Thankyou.