From:
Jacquie Rodgers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 12:29:04 -0700
I wrote this on the 4-16-00 FML:
>It would be helpful to me if a bunch of you would take a minute and call
>your local ASPCA or Humane Society and ask if there are regulations
>concerning 'minimum care requirements' (especially in regards to
>food/water/appropriate housing) for pet stores in your area - and do they
>apply ONLY to dogs and cats?  Do they have regular/random inspections to
>be sure the facilities are up to code?

I can't believe it, but I did not receive one reply!  I know there are
people here who care, so possibly I didn't state the problem clearly...
let me try again:

I have discovered that, in the state where I live, the only requirement to
open a pet store is that a person obtain A CITY BUSINESS LICENSE.  That's
it.  No other requirements, no inspections or care requirements of any
kind.  We wonder why they aren't taking proper care of the animals or
selling ferrets too young, feeding them the wrong food, etc?  The local pet
store owner here told me (quote) "I am a merchandiser, not a nursemaid.."
He doesn't care about what is best for the animals.  He cares about turning
over his 'inventory'.  In the back door, out the front...the quicker the
better since his 'inventory' requires food, litter and manpower to clean-up
after it while waiting to be sold.  When one group of ferrets had giarrdia
(known fact, I took one to the vet and had stool tested), he put the
next shipment of kits right into the 'infected' aquarium with filthy
diarrhea-filled litter boxes, exposing the new kits to the giarrdia!  Yes,
I had told him that giarrdia was highly contagious and everything should be
disinfected.  He didn't know anything about giarrdia.  No, he apparently
didn't care, because he did nothing.

I typed and copied (at my own expense) information packets for ferrets and
asked that they be given to new ferret owners.  They gave them out until
they ran out of them.  They weren't about to make more copies at their
expense and cut into their profits!  I talked to the owner about the heat
generated by the light above the aquarium the ferrets were kept in (the
thermometer read 87-degrees!).  He turned it off at the time I complained,
but next time I was in the store it was back on.  Having the light on
better displays his ferret "inventory".  If they are too hot to move around
much, they don't dig in the litter box, etc and make such a mess.  This
same store owner thinks it is perfectly okay for him to offer the animals
food and water twice a day (morning and evening) to keep from having messes
from spilled food/water bowls, etc.  The Humane Society cannot and will
not intervene unless the animals are in obvious distress or appear
malnourished.  When they do step in, the owner makes the least expensive
change so that his 'inventory' doesn't expire or get confiscated because
then he can't sell them!

Are you outraged yet?  I am.  I want to know WHY there are no regulations
and what do we have to do to get some minimum care requirements for these
'merchandisers'.

Do you know if your city /state has any requirements for pet stores other
than a business license?  Do they inspect pet stores in your area?  Will
you call your local Humane Society or ASPCA and ask those two questions?
I am curious whether the state of Arizona is unique in their lack of
regulations in this area.  Please take just a minute and make the phone
call and ask.  Email me with the your (city and state) location and
whether or not you have requirements (other than a business license) for
opening/operating a pet store.  I'll be happy to post the results of the
survey on the FML.  I believe the first step in solving a problem is
isolating, identifying and illuminating it.  I don't think any change
will come about unless we are willing to stop 'just' complaining and do
something about this!  Please take the first step.  Innocent little lives
are depending on you to begin to ask questions.

jacquie & the boys (Loki, Morgan & Turnip) and Sara the Wonderdog