From:
Mike Rademaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Aug 2011 11:29:44 -0600
I've had cats (one at a time) for most of my life. I got into Ferrets
about 20 yrs ago. With my first ferret I was comcerned that my cat may
look at the ferret as prey. So I watched them carefully at first. But
the meeting turned quite uneventfull. They rubbed noses, sniffed butts,
and started playing. As I got into ferrets I read that ferrets and
cats make excelent playmates. The one sure way to tell if there is a
problem is if the cat hisses. This is how to tell that the cat is not
interested or not having a good time. At this point human intervention
is needed.

Cats and Ferrets like much the same games. They like to play "Hide
and Attack", "Tag", "King on the Sofa" and we now have one that
has invented a new game I call "Cat Rodeo". He'll sneak up on the
unsuspecting cat, jump up un his back and see how long he can hang on
while the cat starts running and bucking. It ends up with the ferret
getting thrown then the game of "Tag" starts. So far Levi's (the
ferret) Personal Best is 3.5 sec. They also have what I call "Thor's
Last Stand" where they will surround the cat and start War Dancing. The
cat then looks at me as if to say "Dad, can I Please kick the Crap out
of 'em? It usually ends up with the cat swatting at a bunch of bouncing
ferrets, its halarious. And there's nothing cuter than catching them
sleeping together in the spoon possition with the cat hugging the
ferret. My ferrets are Free Roam in their own very large room with a
door devider that keep ferrets in but which the cat can leap over
easely so if he's had enough he can always leave. This may help with
the way they get along.

I saw one post about the cat hugging the ferret and digging at ferrets
belly with his hind feet. Though they are playing this is a cats
natural instinct of disemboweling its prey when in that possition.
Even though the cat means no harm, this move is as uncontrolable as it
arching its back when petted. In 20 yrs this is the only danger I've
found with cats and ferrets. Because of this (and for the sake of the
furniture and my lap) I have my cats declawed front & rear. All of
these cats were raised as house cats and are actually afraid to go
outside. Any cat that spends any time outside SHOULD NOT be declawed
at all.

In closing I'll say that cats and ferrets for the most part make great
playmates but there is always an exception to the rule, so watch them
at first until you are sure they will play by the rules.

Mike and the Crew

(I've been on the FML from what seems like its conception, but seldom
post. My posts usually draw a lot of criticism and contraversy, some
quite harsh from people who disagree with my views. I'm sure this will
be no exception, so please if you want to give me hell, do it privately
to my email and don't clutter up the FML.)