From:
Brenda L Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jun 2005 20:46:36 -0400
>Both of these are good products. Sukie I believe has mentioned before
>about the possibilities of the protein being too high as to later
>possibly form crystals. I personally don't believe this would be true
>to an obligated carnivore and neither does my vet.

I would like to address your post on cystine uroliths.  I do hope you did
not mean for your post to sound as though this does not happen.  I had
one of my ferrets with cystine uroliths, I have the stones that were
removed from him to prove it.  I also had to endure the crying my boy did
because he was in such discomfort, until I could get him into my vet to
help him cross to Rainbow Bridge..  This was his second round with the
cystine uroliths.  My vet made it clear after his surgery to remove the
stones, that if the stones came back there would be nothing more he could
do to help Mr. Bones.  I asked my vet about the higher percentages of
protein in the foods.  His and the Vet technicians response was lets wait
and see what develops as the ferrets start eating the higher protein on a
regular basis.  As I see it there will be some that can eat it with no
adverse effects but I will not take that chance now, not after I saw the
pain and agony my boy had to endure.  So buyer beware you may be in for
a midnight run to the emergency vet if you are feeding your ferrets the
higher protein foods..  All I ask is pay close attention to your fur
butts bathroom habits if they are starting to pee in dotted lines they
may have a problem developing.  I have pictures of the stones on my web
shots page, view pictures
<http://community.webshots.com/user/lakeroadshelter>

Brenda Johnson

International Ferret Congress Vendor Coordinator
<http://ferretcongress.org/>