From:
Tim and Denise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 1998 10:50:18 -0500
My son just acquired a female seven year old named Bandette from a friend.
She came to this person from a shelter 4 years ago.  She seems to have some
illness, with the symptoms of slimy poop; she poops all the time, anywhere.
It seems like diarrhea.  She also has weak hindquarters; a bony rib cage but
a huge belly.  Her vagina is swollen.  She has a cataract in one eye.  But
she eats/drinks normally, is lively as can be, playful, alert.  Right now
she is chasing a ball around the room.  He says that she has had these
"symptoms" since he first got her...never better, never worse, just the
same.  He fed her Kitten Chow, and her coat is thin and dry.  I am giving
her ferretone, and better food.  She also had a lot of fleas, so I gave her
a flea bath, got rid of them.  She is in entirely new quarters, since we
refused to take her cage with us.  Our two ferrets, Shamus and Pearl, have
been the picture of health, so we don't know much about ferret illness.  We
are keeping Bandette quarantined.  I want to take Bandette to the vet, but
would like to have some ideas about what might be wrong before I go.  I have
read on the fml about ECE, and adrenal problems.  Could it be one of those
two things?  Please help!  Thanks!

The family of Shamus the Bad, and Pearlie-Girl