From:
Minta Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 07:49:04 -0800
I have an almost 4 year old ferret and an almost 8 year old ferret,
both male.  They both had "girlfriends" that died w/i the last 2 years
(actually the youngest, Ralph, had a sister, NOT a girlfriend!).

The oldest, Linus, I have posted about him before, he's on 3 meds right
now, he has IBD, insulinoma symptoms (no insulinomas though!), hepatitis.
He is acting quite healthy right now.  He is the friendliest ferret in
the world, but he can't take much ferret one-on-one rough-housing.  Ralph
has been healthy so far.

My question is, I would like, when Linus passes away, to get Ralph a
companion friend, but one his own age.  And I am wondering if I should
do that soon or wait until Linus does pass away?  Linus likes the ferret
company, and will play with Ralph a little.  Ralph's sister Winnie used
to terrorize Linus though.  She was quite the little spastic critter.
This was when she was under 3, and she was always more energetic than
Ralph.  Ralph likes to explore, do some chuckling, but in the end all he
really wants is a nice fluffy hammock, preferably one strung up as high
as it can be in his cage.

So, would it be good for Ralph to have "transition" time when he has a
new friend and he has Linus?  Or would it be better to wait 'til Linus is
gone?  I am concerned about how one would introduce a new ferret anyway,
with Linus' health issues and overall supressed immune system.  Looking
at Linus now though, one would never think he has limited time.  He is
still eating, drinking, pooping, ectetra, just fine.  He hasn't "rolled
and danced" in a while but he still comes out of the cage to totter
around and check things out.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Minta & Ralph