Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 1996 00:32:14 +0200
Hi everyone!!

My name is Maria and I'm a new subscriber to the list. After reading it for
a couple of days I thought I'd contribute with the answers I've gotten
about a couple of things that have been discussed.

One article were about genetic problems due to in-breeding.  In Sweden
(where I live) there have been some incidents where ferrets have suddenly
died without warning/illness at about six months of age.  The cause of death
have been a total collaps of the vital organs and this have only occured in
the so-called farmed ferrets, i.e. in-bred.  We (in the club which I am a
member of) are trying to inform all interested buyers that they should NOT
buy their ferret from a pet-store since they only sell farmed ferrets but to
buy from private breeders only.  Other than these problems I've heard about
in-bred ferrets that have been a bit crazy and so on, so I have to say that
in-breeding IS causing genetic problems in our ferrets.

There were also one article about salt toxicity.  I been told that salt in
large amounts is very dangerous to the ferret.  Ferrets don't feel the need
to drink when they've eaten a lot of salt like we humans do, and therefore
they don't re-establish the fluid-balance in their bodies and eventually die
(I guess from dehydration as well as "poisoning").  To be on the safe side,
don't feed your ferret food that have a lot of salt in it, like salted fish
for example.

Isn't it amazing how ignorant people can be?!!  (Thinking here about the
person who thought ferrets got the taste for blood after one bite, of
course).  I have encountered a few persons just like that when I've been
taking my ferrets out for walks as well.  I get so angry (and sad) every
time!!  Thankfully there are a lot of people who are genuinely interested in
these rare pets as well, and I try to get the message across to everyone
about how wonderful they really are.  Sometimes I feel that having ferrets
is almost like being on a mission!!  :)

I would really like to know if there are any more Swedes on this list.  If
there are I would be very happy if you'd like to mail me at
[log in to unmask]  Of course you are just as welcome to mail me even if you
are not Swedish!!

Well, that's all for now from me and my gang of three wonderful fuzzies!!
Take care!!

Maria
Albin (Wow! this life-thingie is so GREAT!! Just play, play, play!)
Smulan (Oh, great, here's another one of those legs to climb! Hey...what's
happened to my nails? I just had them sharpened real good and now they're
gone...)
Ninja (It isn't easy to take care of these two (three), I'll tell ya!)