From:
Beth Stoker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 08:24:34 -0700
I live in Colorado.  And from what I keep reading, Colorado is different
than the rest of the world.  There are actually a few good pet stores here.
Oh yeah we have bad ones too - but most of us seem to go to the pet stores
that treat the pets good.  I just thought in light of all the recent
negativity on pet stores I might mention two in my area that may cheer you
up.

Pet Palace - not sure if they are a chain or not.  This is the place to go
to buy goodies, they have it all.  They have ferret tents, about 10
different styles of hammocks, toys (not a single foam ball in the store),
ferret highways, water botteles, food dishes, carriers, beautiful cheap
cages, food, litter and I'm sure I'm still missing a lot.  They also have
ferrets for sale and no I haven't seen a kit in there yet.  And the cage
that they keep their ferrets in - I would love to have it for mine.  It has
all kinds of toys and space and the ferrets look happy and unlike most pet
store ferrets I've never even gotten a nip from them.  The have cat litter
for bedding on the bottom level - not cedar chips like most every where
else.  And another unique thing about this store - the staff that works
there bring their pets with them every day to work - two dogs and a cat
usually.

The other store is a chain Pet City.  And yes they have another pet city not
too far away that is horrible!  But the Pet City that I frequent has a very
large cage for the ferrets to play in a corner litter box that is mostly
clean every time I've been there.  And with ten or so ferrets I'm sure
that's not easy.  The food dish is large and full.  They have blankets and
some cool toys to play with.  (granted they all are marshalls farms kits 7
weeks old) Most of the staff were previous or current ferret owners.  They
play with the kits.  They encourage new owners to read a 34 page booklet
that they hand out with each sale on ferret care.  They have a deal with a
local vet clinic where if you go within one week of purchase to this vet -
the visit is free.  They also encourage that you take the ferret into the
puppy play area so that you can observe how they play so you aren't
surprised by their energy level.  And they ask that if you have another
animal you bring it into the store to meet the new purchase before hand.

I know this is long, but I wanted to give some hope to those who feel that
there aren't any responsible pet stores a view into a couple of stores that
have done this with out any one pushing them.