Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 11:55:59 +1200
It's not *just* the FML that this happens, but also in apf, ferret boards,
mailing lists and emails stretching across the 'net itself, and indeed even
outside the 'net.  Personally, I've been embarrassed by what members of the
FML have done before, but also apf, and myriad other mailing lists, boards
and newsgroups.  It's not the mailing list or the other 'area' where the
problem is, but in what the individual says.  Sometimes the individual says
a lot of things that I disagree with - I don't dislike them for what they
say, but I have been known to get aggravated on occasion, and respond
badly!  I'm sure the same happens with many people - after all, to my
knowledge, no-one is perfect.

After having gone into all of this, I do have to say this... luckily, the
people mentioned at the start are by far in the minority.  There are
thousands of ferret people online and offline - some are involved in the
'ferret politics' others are not.  Some don't have a choice whether or not
they're involved, they're simply dragged in kicking and screaming.  By far
the majority of ferret owners are the ones who give help when it's needed,
give money when possible, give time, effort, materials and more when they
can.  I've heard of far more *good* ferret people than *bad* ones.  When
you take a real look at a lot of the shelter operators, breeders (yes, them
too!), owners (current, prospective and previous), suppliers, vets (and
others!) you'll find that in them beats the heart of warriors.  They're out
to fight for the welfare of ferrets, and will do their very best to ensure
that the ferrets get the best information, products, health care and public
image available.  They'll spend hours digging out a piece of information to
help a person they've never heard of, to ensure that a ferret they've never
seen gets the best help possible.

JMO anyway,

Sam