From:
Patti Higgins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Feb 2002 22:50:30 -0900
>Also, I own a single ferret and have been thinking about getting a
>second.  I want to see how my ferret will interact with other ferrets
>before I run out and get another (I don't want to disrupt his life in a
>negative way!)."

Butter was an only ferret for four years.  Last year we brought 8 week
old Ginger home.  We left Ginger in the cage and (while she was asleep)
ignored her.  Then we made our usual big fuss over Butter.  He watched
]er through the cage for two days.  Then we let her out with him in the
room and watched them.  He was very curious and followed her everywhere.
Finally he scruffed her into a corner and we thought Ginger would be
scared.  As soon as he let her go she flung all of her 10 ounces at his
overpowering three pound self and we knew it was going to be OK.

Butter has mentored her in the ways of ferrets and they coexist very
nicely.  They are free roam and never sleep together although Ginger would
like too.  Unfortunately as a baby whenever she woke up she would bite him
as an invitation to play so he won't sleep with her.  Come to think of it
though, in the car they do climb into the carrier and sleep together.

They often eat out of the same bowl when I fix them mush (add hot water to
their food).  Ginger insists on placing her head under Butter's neck while
they eat.

I wanted more but was afraid Butter wouldn't allow a second ferret because
he had been alone so long.  Maybe it worked because they are free roam and
have lots of space.  My daughter just got two new babies and brings them
over to play.  They love the adults but Butter and Ginger look faintly
alarmed, as if there is something they should do with them but they don't
know what that would be.  They just follow them around and sometimes drag
one into a corner as if that would fix it!  They always look so dismayed
when the babies immediately bounce back from the corner.

Patti
Butter "I don't know why everyone is always trying to sleep with me!"
Ginger "I never acted like them!"
Bandit "I think Uncle Butter is nice and I can sleep with him if I climb
        in very quietly."
Foxy "I think Aunt Ginger won't catch me next time."

       No trees were harmed in the production of this message.  However,
       a rather large number of electrons were somewhat inconvenienced.

       Patti Higgins Realtor(r), GRI, eCertified(r)
       Prudential Vista
       Direct Line 907-273-7228
       Cell Phone 907-360-2561
       Home:  907-349-3628