Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 19:23:59 -0500
Hi,

I do not know if this has been mentioned before, but I was looking at a
Petco flyer that came in the newspaper and read where they put their heart
into helping homeless animals and that everyday thousands of these animals
are destroyed.  "That's why PETCO is committed to not selling dogs, cats,
or rabbits...." Well, what about ferrets?  Why is this store selling
ferrets if that is how they feel?  They gave their website as
www.petco.com, but I can't find a contact address.  Does anyone have an
address where I can write to them and address this matter?

I currently have a 7 year old post-op adrenal ferret who has to be spoonfed
every 4-6 hours, as he can no longer chew kibble.  I would like to ask
Petco how many prospective ferret owners eyeing the cute kits in their
stores will be committed to caring for the ferret its entire life?  At the
Ferret Association of CT, ferrets are constantly dumped because people
don't have the time, can't afford the adrenal surgery, or the ferret is
elderly and not "cute" anymore.  Ferret shelters are able to screen out
ill-suited candidates through the adoption process which includes a
detailed application and interview.  Employees in pet stores (with a few
exceptions) are not familiar with long-term ferret care and do not have a
say as to whether the ferret is going to a good committed home.  I feel
PETCO is being hypocritical in their policy by continuing to sell ferrets.

Moxie