From:
Lisa Whittleton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 23:54:11 -0800
Hello,

I know ferrets do not have the gag reflex that allows them to cough up
hairballs, but does htis mean they do not have the mechanisms to vomit as
well?  This may seem like a stupid question but yesterday, shortly after
feeding my fuzzy some liver treats (which he has always loved and had no
problems with) he proceeded to run around in obvious distress hide in a
sleep sack or behind the cage etc. and just convulse.  He later coughed
up some of his food and all the liver treat.  There was nothing else.  No
hair or anything that could have caused a blockage.  This was the fert
that had a problem with a large hairball in the past which he did manage
to throw up (it was HUGE!  4in at least, still scares me to think about
it).  Is there a possibility that there is an internal problem for his
frequent coughing/gagging?  i know some coughing is normal but his is
just painful to listen to.  It sounds like he is choking all the time.
Any advice/input on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Also, in regards to a post from yesterday, the shelter that went around
and evaluated the pet stores, I would love to read your results but the
link to the site did not work.  Could you send me the URl again?  Or
re-post?  Thanx.

Lisa and her fuzzbutts, Bentley and Cinnamon who are excited that there
is less than 2 months til Ferret Frolic.  Dooks to tube races, bag races,
costumes and just roaming outside in the grass.