From:
Danee DeVore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2005 17:24:19 -0500
Sandy Nobles <[log in to unmask]>  wrote on 1/1/2005, 3:00 AM:

>There is a rescue in my area I have been helping out there for month.
>They have been hit with a deadly virus that is killing many of the dogs,
>cats, and ferrets and making the humans working with them sick.  It is
>not responding to the antibiotics and they are not even sure what it is
>yet.

This almost sounds more like some kind of poisoning, but I don't know
why some of the animals would be unaffected if it is.  The symptoms in
the animals sound very much like rat poison, though.

Have any tissue samples been sent for pathology?  I would think that
having a good pathologist look at tissue samples from the deceased
animals might be helpful.  Also, is there a reason a virus is suspected,
as opposed to a bacterial infection or a parasite.

There are some forms of E. coli that can cause the described symptoms in
humans, but those forms usually do not affect animals.  As an example,
E. coli 0157:H7 can cause the symptoms you describe in humans, but while
animals can carry it, it rarely makes them sick.

You might also consider contacting the CDC in Atlanta.  They have up to
date information on emerging viruses.

This does sound serious, and I hope you and the shelter can find some
answers.

Please post out whatever you do learn, so that others can be aware of the
danger and how to deal with whatever this is.
--
Danee
International Ferret Congress Health Issues Coordinator