Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 10:51:18 -0600
Q: "'I do not define the following as ferret abuse (provided there is no
danger of direct harm): ... 3) long toenails'....I respectfully disagree."

A: Now why would you want to break a long-standing FML tradition and give
me respect?  ;-)

I did say, "provided there is no danger of direct harm," right?  That's ok,
it is still a good question.  A ferret snagging it's toe is not abuse; it
is an accident.  IF ferrets snagging their toes illustrate a pattern of
neglect by their owner, THAT would be abuse.  Even short toenails will snag
on threads or fabrics because it isn't the length of the toenail which
causes the problem, but the CONDITION of the toenail.  The toenails that
snag are those which are cracked, split, broken, rough or otherwise
damaged, REGARDLESS of length.  Most snags are not at the END of the nail
(the part typically clipped away), but near the middle or base of the claw.

When I was going around the USA measuring polecats and ferrets, I also
looked at museum pelts.  Most still had the claws attached to the skin.
One thing I noticed was the claws (toenails) all looked manicured.  I am
serious; they were all fairly short and polished to a very high degree.
Few (actually, none that I can recall) showed any sign of splitting or
damage seen in domesticated ferret claws.  When I was looking at feral
ferrets from New Zealand, I noticed the same thing; clean, mostly shortened
and polished claws.

Now, I seriously doubt if the ferrets and polecats are lined up at strip
malls for nail treatments, so we have to ask ourselves, "what is the
difference?" There are two; 1) CUTTING toenails (claws) will actually cause
splits and snags, and, 2) wild polecats and ferrets continuously dig in
rough soils.

The next time you cut a ferret's nails, save the cut ends and look at them
under a hand lens.  You will find the edges to be rough, and there will be
the occasional split and crack.  Parts will even look like they have been
"peeled."  I think these cracks and splits are future snags in the making.
Once cut, a topology is created which actually encourages snagging.  With
a ferret allowed to dig in hard and rough material, the same thing happens
to the nail as when you use an emery board; they are polished smooth.  In
other words, a nail topology is created which minimizes snags.

Now, I am not advocating long nails; nor am I suggesting people stop
clipping a ferret's claws.  I am simply suggesting that if you see a
ferret that has long toenails, say in a magazine spread, you should not
automatically suggest abuse.  *I* cut my ferret's toenails ONLY when
necessary, which isn't very often since I started allowing them permanent
access to a block of hard sandy soil.  I fill a Rubbermaid dishpan with
sandy and rocky soil, wet it down, tamp it in, then dry it for a week or
so.  In the middle, I stick in a short section of dowel, which I remove
once the material is hard.  This is the "starting point" for the ferrets,
who become obsessed with digging at this spot.  It takes a day or so for
the dirt in the dishpan to be dug up my my group, so I always have 3 or 4
more waiting in line.  The result is, my ferrets no longer dig at carpet,
and they have bright, rounded, shortened, polished nails that rarely snag
on anything.  The bad news I get to vacuum every day.  An alternative might
simply to be buffing the cut ends of a ferret's claws after clipping in
the hopes of repairing those splits and roughened areas which cause the
snagging.  One important thing; if you do not provide some means of
shorting a ferret's claws, they will continue to grow faster than they wear
away, which could potentially cause problems, including nail splitting and
snagging.

Suggestions: 1) always use very sharp or new clippers and replace them
often; dull, rusted or old clippers cause more damage to the nail during
cutting.
2) Smooth or buff the cut ends of the nail, especially in ferrets that
always seem to get snagged.
3) Give the ferret something to dig, which not only satisfies the digging
instinct, but also allows the ferret to naturally smooth and polish their
nails.  Saves a trip to the strip mall for nail treatments....

On a personal note, I really appreciate these sort of follow-up questions.
I have no problem in clarifying something, airing opposite viewpoints or
even admitting mistakes.  Often, a follow-up question will spur additional
comments forgotten or edited from the original post or allow sometime to
suggest a better alternative.  Please, keep the questions AND their
follow-ups coming!

Bob C and 16 Mo' Diggin' Dummies