From:
Vickie LoMonaco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Aug 1998 18:06:21 -0500
Nicknames for Moogie: Moogers, the Rainbow, Stealth Weasel, War Weasel, Wild
Child, the Carpet Shark, Boogie, Amphibious Rodent (from "The Big
Lebowski"-- anybody see the 'attack ferret"?), Baby Brother (from my 5 yr.
old), Moogster, The Fert, The Squirt, My Little Baby.

I've been following the debate about cages vs. indoor free-roaming; I'm a
new ferret owner, but what we've been doing it keeping Moogie caged during
the day while we're not home, but letting him roam free at night.  It does
worry me that he will eventually swallow something he shouldn't or get stuck
behind furniture (read a horror story on this list from someone whose ferret
fell behind a piece of furniture and got stuck halfway down).  Another big
fear is that someone will step on him.  He is always hot on the heels of
anyone moving, and constantly darts in front and flops down on your feet as
soon as you stop walking.  I'm really scared of him swallowing something now
that my 5 yr.  old is back from a long vacation with grandma.  I try to keep
him out of her room at night by closing the door, but I can't keep her door
shut all the time he's out of the cage, for a number of reasons; and she's
got tons of toys, usually lying in piles on the floor.  Ferret-proofing is
hard to maintain at my house.  But I can't justify keeping him locked up all
the time, either, whether it's for his own safety or not.  He doesn't seem
to particularly mind his cage; he'll go in without protest and is generally
asleep within five minutes.  But, I just feel like it would be cruel to keep
him locked up all the time.  I want to let him have as much time out to run
and play as possible every day because I think it makes him happy, and it's
the only way the family can interact and socialize with him.  So I'm
resigned to worrying a lot and keeping as close an eye as possible on him
(such as trying to always know where he's at and what he's up to).  It's
like having another kid around the house, only one that can HIDE!  Also, he
sleeps at night in my husband's sock drawer (by his own choice).

Moogie always wakes us up somewhere between 3 and 4:30 AM, crawling all over
us.  It's extremely cute.  We don't even mind being woken; and I especially
love the funny noises my husband makes when a cool ferret nose prods him
when he leasts expects it!

Oh, and I was going to ask, how can I mail order Totally Ferret to try it?
I've never seen any for sale around here.

Thanks for listening to my comments!

-Vickie (okay, Moogers, OUT of the suitcase!)
-Moogie (*Maybe if I stay really quiet and only stick my nose out, she
 won't see me*)