From:
Dawn Gloeckler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2009 19:57:58 -0500
I have a unique question. I have been feeding my boys cooked gibbleguts
I make - chicken legs/thighs, chicken livers/hearts/gizzards, eggs
sometimes a cheap piece of pork or beef, and uncooked ground meat. They
like the mixture pretty well, but they don't love it. It does smell a
bit stinky and the dog doesn't like it but the cat does - weird, as the
dog eats ANYTHING including horse manure, cat s_ _ _, and he was even
gobbling down some leftover horse grain thrown out for the deer as it
had bits of paper bag in it from the mice getting into it

Anyways, I thought, ok, what DOES make food taste better? To me it's
salt. So I have been sprinkling a bit of salt on the cooked gibbleguts
mixture as I heat it up for them (they also have a good quality kibble
too, so they do eat both sources of food). Well, the seem to like the
gibbleguts better w/the added salt. Do you think it will be bad to give
them a slight dusting of salt on their gibbleguts? I know horses, cows
and deer get salt licks (and yes, they are vegetarians), but people
also require salt because our body does not produce it naturally. It's
just that we ingest too MUCH salt as processed foods have salt and then
we add more too it (heck, look at the amount of sodium in a can of
Campbell's tomato soup!) So is it possible that ferrets should have
some added salt to their diets too? Ok, I tasted a little of the kibble
(Ed Lipinski, back off and I MEAN it!!!!!) and it has no salty taste at
all.

I was just wondering if anyone has thought about this before. We, as
humans are told salt is bad for us, but we also overindulge in it, so I
can see it makes sense to avoid extra salt to OUR diet, but I DO know -
as a horse owner - that they DO need to have a source of salt (and yes,
they have a diff digestive tract, but humans ALSO do need to ingest
salt - just not as much as we currently do).

Dawn, Socrates, Romeo, Simon and Alexander