From:
Krista Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 1995 13:05:34 -0500
Hi all,

A couple of days ago by best friend and co-ferret-owner, went into a pet
store only to see a 9 month old male ferret ($180) in cedar shavings in a
octagonal aquarium.  He wasn't litter trained either.  It upset her and she
told me about it.  So, last night I decided to go in and talk to them.  The
manager wasn't there so, I talked to a clerk (who just nodded and said
uh-huh).  We went back to see him and to our amazement, he had a thin latex
toy with four quarter sized holes in it.  I freaked!!  I went and got
another clerk and told her the dangers and she took it out and said
"sometimes we do stupid things".  She then told us they had a 10 week old
little girl.  We looked at her and were amazed once again.  She fit in the
palm of my hand.  She must have been younger that 10 weeks.  She had a latex
toy too and this was also taken out.  We then asked to see the 9 month old.
She said "ok, but he is mean".  My friend (Tracey) picked him up.  He just
sat there.  He went to nip her and the clerk said "ok, if you bite you go
back." We then left.  Today I called the manager and was surprised to hear a
concerned voice on the other end.  She is the only one who ever picks the
big boy, all the other employees are afraid of him.  It has taken her 5
weeks of solid interaction to get him used to being handled.  She told me
that all of their animals are in pine not cedar shavings, so that is ok.  I
told her the disadvantages.  She said that the owner will not change
anything.  I offered to bring in some info for him and she said "go ahead,
but honestly, you are wasting your time".  She also said that if I wanted
the big boy, to make an offer.  I don't know what to offer for a 9 month old
who has never been handled.  I'm worried about him but can't afford much.
If anyone knows where I can get info on cedar and pine or intestinal
blockage, could you please tell me.

        Thanx in advance.        Krista & Tracey
                                        Rascal & Digger