From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Dec 1996 16:53:03 -0500
Re: California: would it make sense, given that the farm lobby there has a
strong hand in spreading lies about ferrets, for ferret owners across the
nation to boycott California produce, poultry, beef, and dairy?  If we make
a point that it is not to force legislation but just to force truth from
them then that would make a second point as well: that the information
coming from them is so untrustworthy that it has resulted in a drastic
response even if only from a small well-informed group.  How marginal are
the distributors?  How many of us would it take to make an impact?  We could
even invite other states to tell us about their produce which rivals CA's
for our grocery dollars; in fact, those here in states which do stand to
lose income to CA's farm industry might want to think about this.

Re: disputes: Disagreements can be very healthy because they offer fresh
perspectives.  What doesn't work is when they degenerate to flaming or when
only one viewpoint is heard.  In those cases precious space and time just
get wasted rehashing.  The way that members here were able to recently
disagree on the thanking issue but still remain supportive of others despite
their opinions is a perfect example of how such discussions can lead to
solutions and understanding.

Today we refilled Meltdown's Enacard and Winstrol -V.  It's ironic that a
medication (Winstrol) which is bad for the heart long term has improved her
quality of life so much that she regained her interest in living for as long
as she is able.  Without it she was giving up and would have died already.
She's even regained a touch of weight.  Her amoxi has made a real dent in
the UTI, too.  In just about a week and a half she will have lasted 9 months
longer than anyone expected because of the ventricular bigeminis, and now
she has lasted a month longer than the night when it looked like she would
need a mercy shot (before we started the VERY high levels of her
Furosemide).  She's a real trooper.  Oh, she is not having ANY trouble at
all with milk products now (though she used to) -- not even loosening of her
stools so we have begun to give some of her meds in whipped cream whihc
makes her think she's getting treats and that some meds are no longer being
given.  Let's face it, cavities are not a concern with a stage 4
cardiomyopathy patient.  Any more ideas on how we can spoil her?  Ferrets
are SO TOUGH!

Sukie