From:
Anastasia Kidd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 16:52:23 EST
Hi to everyone.

Sandra, I am not a vet but you can certainly take this to your vet.  I have
a ferret that had similar symptoms, among others.

Christopher was severly anemic, lost more than half his weight, fixated on
one specific food to the exclusion of all else including treats, stopped
drinking from a water bottle, became nauseous, vomitted, and has terrible
poops.

Now, I know your ferret isn't this bad but bear me out.

We went in to remove a left adrenal tumor that was found and that was when
we discovered the terrible conditions of Chris' intestines.  They were
discolored (brown, almost necrotic), and they were congested (meaning the
blood vessels were bright red and enflamed/enlarged).  They were also very
thickened.

A biopsy of the intestines concluded that it was lymphoplasmacytic
enteritis .  A urine cytology found that he also has eosinophilic
enteritis.  A fecal culture showed a staphloccocus infection.

I'm sure your ferret isn't as ill as Chris is.  However, I know of 3 other
ferrets that have turned up with eosinophilic enteritis in the last few
months.  I have no idea of what causes it but it is treated with prednisone
and a dose or two of ivermectin, per the Hillyer/Quesenberry text.  I
believe Fox also suggests the same treatment.

I would suggest that you have your vet test for eosinophilic enteritis.

Good luck and please keep us posted.  I am especially interested in
finding out if any other ferrets have this illness.

Anastasia Kidd
Plainfield, NJ