From:
Paige Collier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 2010 12:17:08 -0500
Hello to All,

I would like some information from all our ferret lovers who own the
Midwest Ferret Nation cages with the original shelves.

I know that we have all tried to fix these shelves with cardboard,
duct tape and homemade covers. I know that there have been quite a few
ferret deaths and injuries from feet and toenails getting stuck in the
wires where the plastic goes under the metal corners. While searching
for ferrety items for the Giving Tree, I discovered that Midwest has
made NEW shelves for their Ferret and Critter Nation cages. I called
the place where I originally bought my 5 Ferret Nation cages and they
do not have the new shelves because there was NO recall from Midwest.
I just got off the phone with a Midwest representative who assured me
that there was no recall...they just decided to make these new shelves
because they would be easier to clean. They are selling the
"replacement shelves and ladder covers" for about $30.00. He also told
me I could look at a list of their distributors to see if I could find
the shelves cheaper through another Company.

I did find that Ferret.com was selling the new shelves for $12.99
and the ladder covers for $7.99. I tried to explain to the Midwest
representative why the new shelves were needed. I ending up telling
him that the shelves probably weren't recalled because it would cost
the company too much money to replace all of the original shelves. He
told me that I could e-mail a letter to him, that he would forward to
"Quality Control", asking if they would reconsider and recall these
shelves instead of making all of us buy the new shelves.

I've not been on the FML for a while so I apologize if this matter has
already been discussed. My question is: Has anyone already gone this
route? I didn't want to start something, with Midwest, if someone else
had already tried. If this has not been discussed, please, let me know.
I don't mind trying to work w/ Midwest but, I would need to hear from
those of you who have these cages, or know someone who does, that have
had ferrets that have been injured or died because of these shelves. I
would need "testimonials" of sorts. Those of you who would like to help
me with this endeavor, if it hasn't already been done, I appreciate
your help. Being part of a Shelter, money is tight, I can't afford to
buy 10 shelves and ladder covers for cages that I already have because
the shelves weren't made properly to begin with. I apologize for my
ranting but, the more I think about this, the more angry I get...but,
don't worry, I can be nice when dealing with Midwest. I might not want
to be nice but, I think I can reel myself in for the betterment of our
beloved ferrets.

Paige Collier
Director, Adoptions & Rehabilitation
Richmond Ferret Rescue League
www.richmondferretrescueleague.org/

Help Feed Shelter Animals...One Click per day:
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3

Help Save Wolves...One Click per day: