From:
Petersen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 12:09:40 -0500
Marge (dook dook) posted in support of Ferret Wise's prompt actions in
removing an ADV positive ferret from their shelter and urged that all
ferret owners and especially shelters should test for ADV.  I agree that
this was the absolute best thing to do - under ideal circumstances.  Not
all of us live in ideal circumstances.

As a shelter operator, I have a few comments.  First of all, I know that
Marge has many ferrets and sometimes takes in more from animal rescue -
has she tested all of her ferrets?  Does she test all incoming ferrets?

Second, I agree that in the best of all possible worlds ADV positive
ferrets would be kept segregated from ADV negative ferrets.  I don't have
that luxury.  We are the only shelter in our area (St. Louis, Missouri).
There is a shelter in Kansas City and possibly one in Springfield.  There
is one in mid-Illinois and of course in Chicago.  But there is not another
shelter near here that could just take in any ADV positive ferrets we
happened to come across.  So, we hold our breath and don't test.  If
someone came to me and suggested that they would be willing to open another
shelter in our area I would be delighted.  Until then, I don't see an
alternative to taking in all ferrets that come to us - given that most
animal control agencies around here will kill ferrets.  Also, the ferrets
all live in our house, since we have been unable to find/afford a separate
building or storefront for the shelter.  Quarantine is just about
impossible.  I realize this is less than ideal but until some angel gives
us a building this will have to do.

Constructive suggestions are always welcome - flames will be ignored.

Sara Petersen
FURRY
www.furryferrets.org