From:
FurpeopleWeyr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 00:03:22 -0700
This is a short story that should not have been.  Lily came to my
Hospice/Rehab in serious medical trouble.  Diarrhea, ulcer, dehydrated.
I practically threw a temper tantrum to get her owner to get her to a
vet.  Of course the owner insisted on her vet, a dog and cat vet.  One
look at her and the on duty vet said euthanasia.  I stepped in and said
give her 24 hours with me.

In the following 24hrs, I was able to rehydrate her, get the stomach pain
under control and get her to begin eating on her own.  In short, she was
recovering.  At the end of the 24 hours, she went back to the cat/dog vet
who informed me he had diagnosed her with Cushing's disease 3yrs prior,
and she was terminal.  He couldn't conceive of ulcers in ferrets.  In
short, he euthanized her.

For those of you who don't know, ferrets don't get Cushing's, and ulcers
are common in stressed ferrets.  Adrenal tumors are seldom terminal, but
ignorance is.  Lily paid for an unqualified vet's ignorance and conceit
with her life.  Unconscionable.

Please, please, please!!!  Make sure your vet is a FERRET vet.  Ferrets
are not dogs or cats and are not related to them.  Time and time again I
see or hear about ferrets that have been misdiagnosised, mistreated, and
even killed by improper vet care.  Please make sure this heartbreak
doesn't happen to you and your loved one doesn't pay for someone's ego
with their life.

Rest in peace Lily..........I know we'll meet again.