From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Apr 2011 12:06:37 -0400
http://www.heartwormsociety.org/veterinary-resources/slide.html

The most recent vet messages on this specific topic in the FHL Archives
and other resources:

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL10409

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL10402

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL5195

>Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 22:16:00 EDT
>Subject: [ferrethealth] Re:How to deal with heartworm exposure
>
>The Idexx SNAP heartworm test (ie "the dog test") can be used in
>ferrets. However the Idexx well test that Idexx runs when you send
>blood samples into an Idexx lab is even more sensitive and accurate.
>Thus the best test is to have your vet send a blood sample into an
>Idexx lab for a heartworm test. If it is positive, then a treatment
>protocol (ie ivomec and pred or proheart 6) can be used. Remember
>heartworms in ferrets is usually fatal, so prevention is your best
>option. You can use Revolution, Advantage Multi, Interceptor,
>Heartgard, Proheart 6 or ivomec to prevent heartworms. Heartworms
>cause damage to the heart and when they die, they cause damage to
>the lungs. Both can be fatal to a ferret.
>
>Hope that helps,
>Jerry Murray, DVM

http://www.miamiferret.org/heartworm.htm

http://www.heartwormsociety.org/

http://www.heartwormsociety.org/media-room/background.html
includes these two sentences in its paragraphs:
>Heartworm medications work by halting heartworm development before the
>adult worms reach the lungs and cause disease. Compared to the cost of
>treating an animal with mature adult heartworms, heartworm prevention
>is safe, easy and inexpensive. (In ferrets since most with heartworm
>die, the cost is way beyond financial.)

http://www.heartwormsociety.org/veterinary-resources/slide.html
(Repeated because it is a "must-see")

Sukie (not a vet)