From:
Rick Mooney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Nov 1994 21:42:48 +1100
WOW, We were overwhelmed with the response to our little letter from
Australia. As a result of the number of questions raised I will not
reply to them all personally, besides a combination of my typing
slowness and Fi-Fi running around the study in a manic ferret mood makes
individual replies impossible! Hope no one minds too much.
O.K. Fi-Fi is 10 months old and we have had her about 8 months.
When I say that most ferrets were working ferrets, yes I mean for
catching rabbits. Rabbits are an introduced pest in Australia and are
declared vermin. When I was a kid growing up on a farm going rabbiting
with ferrets was a real highlight! In brief when a rabbit warren was
found nets were pegged over all the holes to be found and a number of
hungry, aggressive, smelly, male ferrets were released into the warren.
Hopefully they chased the rabbits out into the nets and carefully gloved
hands would remove rabbit and ferret from net. As often as not the
ferret would corner the rabbit in the warren and start eating it! This
meant the warren had to be dug up until the ferret was located!
Biological control of rabbits has all but ended the use of ferrets to
control rabbits, although ferret societys around the country regularly
have rabbiting days.
We have deceided against getting a second ferret at this stage as Fi-Fi
has friends who come and visit her in her run, (which runs the length of
the house about 3 feet wide and 20 yards long ) and she lives with two
dogs she loves to terrorize. Also we have a large ferret proof
backgarden she can play in.
A council ranger is an employee of the local government, e.g. Fremantle
City Council, they are responsible for picking up stray dogs, cats,
ferrets etc and impounding them, they also make sure dogs are on the dog
beach not the swimming beach and check pet registrations etc.
A lounge room is a living room, (I guess!)
As far as I know the only state to ban the keeping of ferrets is
Queensland. There is no rabies in Australia and that fact may lessen the
hysteria. Any dealings we have had with authorities here have been
without problems.
There are no similar wild animals to ferrets, and as far as I know no
populations of feral ferrets, which would pose a serious threat
to small native animals.
I have no idea of ferret numbers in Australia, but I will attempt to
find out and report back.
For anyone interested our snail mail address is, 215 South St.
                                                 Beaconsfield
                                                 W.A.  6162
                                                 Australia.

Thanks to Donna, Linda, Dick & Joan, and Lee for your comments and questions
cuddles to all your ferrets and Merry Christmas from "Down Under"

Rick, Michelle, Fi-Fi, Tess and Amber