From:
Tyler Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 1993 08:31:08 -0500
Help!!
    My 5 year old ferret seems to have an unusual condition....she is nearly
bald from her front legs all the way back to the tip of her tail!  I don't know
why or how to treat this condition.  My veterinarian has made many house calls
to see Ayla (pronounced Aay-LAH).  She was neutered as a kit.  My vet thinks
 that
perhaps the veterinarian who originally neutered her didn't do such a great job
 and
might have left some ovarian tissue behind which is still secreating hormones.
She went into heat (we believe) last year and he gave her all sorts of drugs to
break the heat cycle (Pred was the main drug, I believe).  Since then, she has
 been alone except for my company.  He strongly recommended that her male
 companion (also
neutered) be separated immediately from her as his scent might throw her back
 into
heat.  She is no longer on drugs except for the "Felovite" paste I give her
 every
other day which contains L-Taurine.  I feed her only Iams dry cat food. Now, she
 seemsto have a small lump/growth on her belly near her back legs.

    Ayla is scheduled for exploratory surgery near the end of this month or
the beginning of next month (March).  Not only will the surgery be expensive,
 but
as always, anestisia (sp?) will put her at some risk.  My vet is hoping to find
any ovarian tissue left behind or perhaps some tumor or growth effecting the
endocrine system.  Other than her tremedous fur loss and some lethargy, she
 seems
very healthy and certainly has a voracious appetite.

    Needless to say, I'm not looking forward to putting her in for surgery.
If anyone has a ferret who has experienced this condition  or knows what is
 going
on, please let me know!!!

-- Tyler "I-don't-want-my-ferret-under-the-knife" Greenberg