From:
Michael Schieman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 1996 09:10:13 EST
Having, once again, spoken that enigmatic word into his Maker's ear, Jesse
licked God's cheek and scampered down His robes, pausing briefly at the
small, warm lump next to God's heart.  At the foot of God's throne, he poked
his nose into an empty raisin box - one of the many gifts the ferrets had
brought - and, satisfied that the box was empty, bounded off - for there was
much ferret business to attend to that day.

God sat silently upon His throne for a very long time, a puzzled frown was
on His bearded face.  He thought thoughts that He had never thought before;
felt feelings He had never felt before.

He gazed upon the great pile of gifts that the ferrets had brought to Him,
and smiled.

"I suppose that a casual observer would consider this to be the most
colossal collection of junk ever to be collected in one place." He laughed.
"To Me, it's the greatest treasure that has existed.  The ferrets have given
Me everything they had to give - joyfully and without any expectation of
gift in return."

A small tear glistened in the corner of God's right eye - a tear of joy and
of gratitude.  God was content even though He was still a little puzzled as
to why the ferrets had done what they had.

His reverie was interrupted by a slight movement as the ferret child who had
been sleeping next to His heart yawned and stretched.  He felt the tickling
of tiny claws as Jesse Junior came wake and sought an opening in the robes.
Soon a small face poked out of a fold in the robes.  It had a pointed and
whiskered nose, small and twinkling eyes.  The kit yawned again, laid his
head upon the palm God's outstrectched hand, and gazed lovingly into the
face of his Creator.

The tear in God's eye swelled and rolled down His cheek - lost itself
amongst the whiskers of the great white beard.

"You, little one," God sighed, "You are the greatest treasure, the most
perfect gift of all.  For in bringing you here your father has given to Me
his all - his very hope for the future.  I think I understand now.

"Christmas - what a wonderful idea.  I think that I'll feel much betters if
I give a gift too."

Later that night, a bright new star shown in the sky over a small town
called Bethlehem.  Shepherds, angels, kings and creatures gathered
reverently outside a humble stable and heard the sound of a Baby's first
cry.  Christmas had come to the Earth.

Joy to the World!