From:
Ferret McDuff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 1996 07:33:24 -0500
>Apparently the Plaintiff had the ferrets at a vet's office, and he ordered
>the vet to destroy these animals as soon as he learned that there might be
>a Stay ordered by the Governor.

This is not at all uncommon.  Having lost once they are afraid to have it
happen again.  I was involved in one case were the PH official walked out of
the courtroom, called the shelter and ordered the ferret destroyed.  When he
was told that there would be no vet to do it until the next day he ordered
them to take the ferret to the nearest vet and have it done immediately (at
the city's expense).  All because we stated to the judge that we were going
to appeal the decision based on false information cited by public health.
It took us less than 45 min.  to file the appeal, the ferret was dead in
less than 20.  The sad thing is that they can get away with this because
they can claim that they are forced to act quickly on behalf of the bite
victim due to the horrible delays already caused by the process we
initiated.  (BTW: The PH officer was eventually sued and lost his job).

>the series of shots one must receive following a bite to prevent
>rabies must be started within 7 days of the contact or bite.

Actually, the recommendation is, If the animal is rabies suspect
post-exposure treatment should begin on day 0, preferably within 8 hours of
the exposure and discontinued when and if the animal tests negative.  It is
interesting that the bite victim began post-exposure on June 4th, after it
was brought up that PH couldn't possibly be very concerned that the ferrets
were rabid because they were not following guidelines for a rabies suspect
animal and treating the victim.  Also, anyone else think it is kinda strange
that, if PH was so concerned that these ferrets were possibly rabid that
they initiated post-exposure on the bite victim yet they didn't even
recommend the treatment for David Revere who handled the animals every day?

>the series of shots one must receive following a bite to prevent
>rabies must be started within 7 days of the contact or bite.

Actually because humans are very close to being carriers for rabies the
disease can be effectively treated right up to the onset of clinical signs
which can be years.  There has even been some limited sucess with treatment
after onset.  Although VERY limited.

>perhaps we can get a bill passed giving our beloved ferrets the same
>rights as dogs, or at minimum, the same laws that NH has regarding
>quarantine after a biting incident.

NJ public health rules already allow for a quarantine if the owner refuses
to surrender the animal for testing.  He may be fine $100 from Fish &
Wildlife for letting his pet bite someone and must take financial
responsiblity for any medical treatment needed by the bite victim (this is
required for any pet owner).  The problem is that PH radically overstepped
their authority which is only to recommend kill and test.  To me getting a
court order to destroy the ferrets was about as much a recommendation as
putting a person in shackles and hauling them off to jail for a parking
meter violation is appropriate.

>He said one had just been acquired recently and the imrab vaccine says on
>it that even if they use it it's not approved for ferrets and that they
>should be destroyed and checked for rabies anyway.  So I said you mean then
>there really no reason to get your ferret vaccinated in NJ.

Please pass this along to the vaccine manufacturer.

>I would like to know if any studies have been done on how many ferrets have
>transmitted rabies to humans. "

There has never been a documented case of a ferret transmission of rabies to
a human or any other animal.  It has even been tried in some of the shedding
studies and failed.  Have this vet read the european studies and the recent
domestic study.  They are available at any medical/veterinary library or
contact the AFA.