From:
"Gustafson, Barb" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 11:26:56 -0600
On Sat, 11 Aug 2001 - Russell Prater wrote.......
>Nobody in the US raises ferrets for fur.  It just wouldn't make economic
>sense.  A fitch pelt on the hoof may be worth $1.  Why waste time, effort
>and food raising inferior fur when you can raise mink just as cheaply.
>It is my understanding that one of the Scandinavian countries is the only
>place in the world where any fitch are raised and there is much pressure
>to end it there.

Well Russell I am hoping and praying that you are right about what you're
saying because right this minute we are trying to track down the location
of a supposed fitch farmer in BC Canada.  The information which came to us
through a third party is that a farmer there would like to get out of the
business as there is "no money in it" but is unsure what to do with the
estimated 1000 ferrets.  Just the thought of it has been enough to give me
nightmares this last week.  The worst part is that the information is third
hand and frustratingly difficult to track down.  Not knowing if this is an
exaggeration of the truth, a rumor or even a total fabrication is giving me
new grey hairs.  Believe me I'm praying that we find out it is just some
story someone cooked up because if its not.......*shudder*.

Barbara Gustafson
Alberta Ferret Society
President